“…the learned professions are really ‘callings’ from which the members cannot separate their lives. There are no part-time professionals; having accepted such a calling, one is bound to live it or leave it.”
~Cecil’s Textbook of Medicine (21st edition)
Mavens are “information specialists”, or “people we rely upon to connect us with new information.” They “accumulate knowledge…and know how to share it with others. A maven is “someone who wants to solve other people’s problems, generally by solving [her] own”.
I feel that information and data is to be organized, analyzed, synthesized, and shared in a straightforward, easy-to-follow manner. I’m a doctor and a scientist and I am compelled to share what I know so that we can all live healthier lives.Image: creator unknown
This website is one of many tools that helps me fulfill my purpose, with a focus on these key objectives:
- Increase pipeline of minorities and women in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) related professions, especially biomedical research and medicine. This is a critical strategy in reducing health disparities and improving the wealth and health of our communities.
- Increase awareness and advocacy related to social determinants of health (e.g., poverty, racism, etc.) that impact health as a key strategy in reducing disparities in health and health care.
- Empower individuals to live healthier lives through the adoption of healthy habits to prevent and control chronic disease, particularly those that disproportionately impact vulnerable populations.
I hope this information serves you well!
Yours in health,
- The views expressed on this site are solely those of Dr. Nicole Redmond and do not represent the views of her employer(s) or affiliated organizations.
- This service is provided for informational purposes only. It is not intended to replace consultation with a physician or other qualified health-professional. Dr. Nicole Redmond cannot answer specific health questions on-line; however, general answers will be provided to appropriate questions raised by community participants.
- Information provided is not intended to be used diagnostically or therapeutically by the person(s) initiating an inquiry. The information provided on this website is not a substitute for formal evaluation and discussion with a licensed clinician.
- Resources listed, quoted, and individual (guest) articles, etc. and their authors, or links to other websites, do not necessarily support all or any of the views held by Dr. Nicole Redmond.
- A full disclaimer is located here.